Members of Chambers have extensive experience of litigation and dispute resolution within the field of commercial law, across a wide range of areas of law and industry sectors.
Specific areas of expertise include:
- Civil Fraud
- Commercial Agency
- Construction and Engineering
- Conflict of Laws
- Consumer Law
- International Trade
- Private International Law
- Professional Negligence
- Sale and Carriage of Goods
- Securities, Banking and Financial Services
- VAT and Duties
We have particular experience of litigating issues involving the Brussels and Lugano Conventions and the Rome Conventions. We have litigated many jurisdictional and substantive issues in relation to follow-on damages actions, group litigation orders and class actions.
We have a wealth of experience in commercial arbitration and mediation, both domestically and internationally. Members appear in arbitrations as arbitrators, party representatives and experts, and have acted in both ad hoc arbitrations and institutional proceedings before the ICC, LCIA and AAA tribunals. Similarly, members act both as mediators and on behalf of parties to mediations. Our barristers include members of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, CEDR accredited mediators, and members of the panel of mediators appointed by the Technology and Construction Solicitors' Association.
Members regularly appear as advocates in commercial disputes before the House of Lords, Court of Appeal and High Court, including the Commercial Court.
Notable cases include (please click on the links for details):
- RBS v Hicks & Gillett (High Court)
- Yukos Oil Bankruptcy Litigation (Multi-jurisdictional)
- Bookmakers Afternoon Greyhound Services Ltd & Others v Amalgamated Racing Ltd & Others (Court of Appeal)
- National Grid Plc v ABB Ltd & Others (High Court)
- Emerald Supplies Ltd v British Airways Plc (High Court)
- Devenish Nutrition v Sanofi-Aventis (Court of Appeal)
- JML Direct Ltd v Freesat UK Ltd (High Court)
- Sheffield United FC v West Ham United FC (London Court of International Arbitration)
- Lonsdale v Howard & Hallam (House of Lords)
- Chester City Council v Arriva Plc (High Court)
Our barristers include members of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, CEDR accredited mediators, and members of the panel of mediators appointed by the Technology and Construction Solicitors' Association.