Monckton Chambers is "a technically impressive and efficient set," which is highly respected for its individual barristers' expertise in an array of areas, including EU law, environmental law and procurement and state aid."
'Monckton Chambers has a talented group of practitioners who are fully conversant with all manner of environment cases.'
Chambers & Partners UK
Monckton Chambers has many specialists in environmental law, who regularly advise and appear before domestic courts and the Community Courts on environmental law issues. The team is able to build upon our outstanding expertise in EU law to advise clients on the domestic impact of EU environmental legislation.
Members act for private clients and campaign groups, and also regularly act for the Environment Agency, the Department for Environment Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA), Department for Business Innovation and Skills (BIS) and local authorities.
Specific areas of expertise include:
- Access to environmental information
- Agriculture and fisheries
- Contaminated land
- The Convention on Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora
- Energy conservation
- Environmental impact assessments
- Environmental permits
- Environmental protection
- Greenhouse gas emissions trading
- Habitats and Wild Birds Directive
- The Kyoto Protocol
- Integrated pollution prevention and control
- Pesticides regulation
- State aid for environmental protection
- Waste management and landfill
- Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment Directive
Members of Monckton Chambers have appeared in the Administrative Court, Court of Appeal, House of Lords and the European courts in a range of environmental law cases. Several members also regularly appear in the Information Tribunal in cases involving environmental information.
Notable cases include (please click on the links for details):
- Repic Ltd v Secretary of State for Business Enterprise and Regulatory Reform and The Environment Agency (Administrative Court)
- Bruton v Natural England & Others (Administrative Court)
- R (Edwards) v Environment Agency (House of Lords)
- Anti-Waste Ltd v Environment Agency (Court of Appeal)
- Greenpeace Ltd v Secretary of State for Trade and Industry (Administrative Court)
- Greenpeace Ltd v Secretary of State for the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Court of Appeal)
- R (Greenpeace) v Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs and Commissioners of Customs and Excise (Court of Appeal)
- Lewis v Environment Agency (Administrative Court)
- WWF European Policy Programme v Council of the European Union (Court of First Instance)
- Mayer Parry Ltd v United Kingdom (European Court of Justice)